2 cups of AP flour
1 tbsp of sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup of butter
1 tbsp white vinegar
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt together.
2. Cut frozen cube chunks of butter with pastry knife until butter is approximately pea size chunks.
3. Slowly add ice cold water infused with the white vinegar, 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture holds together. Chill until ready to roll.
4. Let dough cool in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
5. Roll chilled dough and place into pie plate.
3 pounds sweet BC cherries, pitted
1 vanilla bean
3 tbsp arrowroot flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Wash cherries well. For smaller mini pies, cut cherries in half.
2. Slice the vanilla bean open using the tip of a pairing knife and gently scrape the vanilla bean seeds out.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the cherries, vanilla, arrowroot, sugar and salt. Mix well with large spoon gently pressing some of the cherries to release some delicious juice! Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 15 minutes.
4. Pour the cherry mixture into the prepared pie shell leaving a 1" overhang. Cover with pastry, and pinch to create a decorative edge.
5. Whisk egg and brush the top of the pastry evenly covering all surface area. Sprinkle with sugar and cut several 1" slits for venting. Place in the oven for 10 minutes at 400F and then lover to 350 for an additional 35-40 minutes.
|all photos by Kyrani at Kilk Photography|
Cool, and enjoy!!!!